Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Small Tiara Of Wool Felt And Sparklies!


This tiara is a miniature, made from a scrap of felt-- I originally cut some wedge-shaped pieces from the strip of pink random-dyed felt and used those wedges on an edging. What was left, when turned upside-down, was a perfect little crown. Cynthia found it in the studio when she and her mom were here, and I left it where she had set it on a table, pinned at the ends into the rounded shape.

Bethy saw it and asked to have it sitting by her when she was coloring last week, and then I began to study the little piece for possibilities. The more I thought about it, the more interesting it became. Sandra brought a bag of embellishments with her-- small sequins in bright colors and shapes, some glass beads, things I don't normally use. And the bright goodies and the textured felt suddenly seemed to be perfectly suited to one another.

The felt is lined with a brightly printed piece of cotton, and the whole is edged on the machine. I had to be very careful not to chew up the ends of the points and lose them in the feed dogs, so every point had to be started at the base of the crown and worked upward! Then I added the beading, and voile! The little tiara is now a decorated addition to Bethy's drawing table! I will bring it with me to the next Freestyle meeting and share it with my friends in Knoxville. I need to think of a way to attach it to Bethy's head, as I am quite sure this little 2" tall head piece will not sit on the table beside her for very long before I hear little footsteps and see her coming toward me with it cradled in her hands . . .

And this butterfly was quite happily having lunch amid the verbena when I passed, and s/he so graciously posed for me.

1 comment:

Cynthia Patrick said...

What fun! I love that it spoke to you and Bethy and it has become something that you will share together. :)