Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Week

The Adorables were with us yesterday.  When they entered the house the first thing they noticed was the hearth covered with wrapped presents.  Ethan's little face became a study in happy absorption as he asked, "Which one is for me?"  Bethy, though, didn't ask.  She went directly to the hearth and studied the labels, finally announcing, "That one is mine.  I see the 'B' on it."  I did not dispute this, as her tone was not a question, and she needed no reassurance.  A woman who knows how to get the job done!

We moved from the house to the studio, where Ethan climbed into my lap to make more Christmas ornaments at one of the work tables, and Bethy chose to look into every nook and cranny of the studio (there are many!).  They can recite the lines to "Santa Claus is coming to town."  We do it as a call-and-response:

Me:  "You better watch out. . ."
Adorables: "You better not cry. . ."
Me: "Better not pout. . ."
Adorables: "I'm telling you why. . ."
All Together: "Santa Claus is coming to town."

This through the entire song!  They both went to great lengths to assure me that they are on the "Nice" list, that they have both been much too good to be on the "Naughty" list.

I think Christmas Day will be the loveliest day we've spent in a long, long time!

No comments: