Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Curling Bethy's Hair



What a morning!  Bethy wanted curls today, and as I had nothing else planned, we opened the Friendly Corner Beauty Parlour.  First I washed her hair, which started out in the bathtub but moved to the shower before it was over.  Then dried it and began rolling it up with my heat curlers (very old set, but they work!).  About 2/3 of the way through the rolling process, she began to sniffle.  The sniffles are the beginning of a meltdown.  It seems that she wanted the curls to appear without any work, and I had to explain to her that beauty is not a freebie.  She was so sure the Princesses in the story books got their curls without any effort at all, and I had to disabuse her of that notion.  What a terrible job for a grandmother!



By the time I had finished with the rollers, she was only on half-sniffle, so we passed the time waiting for her hair to dry completely and the curlers to do their magic by taking pictures.  There was much giggling, and I suddenly was not 63 years old anymore, and my best friend and I were in our tiny bathroom craning for space in the medicine-cabinet mirror as we tried out new hair styles-- that would have been in the 1960s!

Then, the comb-out.  I think the curlers worked rather well, wouldn't you agree?


She primped and preened in front of the mirror, then turned suddenly to me and I grabbed the camera.  Where did she learn these moves?


The child was five in April.  Honestly!  I don't think I learned to poke my arm out that way until I was about thirty!  But, of course, I still can't use an i-phone, though she says she'll help me when I get my own.

1 comment:

Cynthia Patrick said...

I cannot believe how grown up she looks in the "after" pictures! :) It sounds as if you had an amazing day with your dear Bethy, and I'm positive it is a precious memory to her as well! My heart is melted over here...and though I didn't believe it possible...I'm even more excited to meet my daughter now! Thank you Nancy! :)