Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Return to Alphabets: G as in . . .

Back to the embroidered alphabet, after a long interlude of silence.  I couldn't find my "G" from my stack of alphas, and I let it bring the Alphabet Project to a halt.  So, just imagine it is here.  I'll post it one day.  Or make a new one.  Life is never a straight line . . . except in Grids, maybe . . .

Grids.  Dividing a space into sections (not necessarily equal-sized) can organize a space with remarkable ease and add a great deal of clarity to the grouping.  Precisely measured divisions can still be fun, though.  Grids are satisfying ways to present ideas.  Some examples I've pulled from studio storage boxes are:

Blue Grid.  How many different ways can you fill a square (or, a roughly square shape)?  Inspired by the Beaney and Littlejohn Stitch Magic, I used color to tie together an assortment of fillings for squares in a roughly 1 1/4" format:


Green Grid.  The grid is machine embellished wool, and the fillings are all whimsical.  This was part of a Freestyle Challenge from Cynthia on developing grids:



This grid is a response to a Freestyle challenge by Beth, and is a study in stitch and color set in this tight form:


Below is my blue "quilt."  It is a true mixed-media piece of gridwork, and was a delight to put together.  Many of the squares have hand-made paper as a background:


These last grids are photographs from a trip to Savannah.  Old cities have some of the most interesting photo ops.  The first is a sidewalk in front of one of the SCAD buildings, and the second is a collection of mirrors arranged on the walls of a little shop on a side street in the historic district:



Grasshoppers.  Really silly grasshoppers.  In fact, they only resemble grasshoppers if you squint a little bit and forget anything you may have learned in a biology class about insects.  I was playing with ideas while doodling one day.



Of other "G" words that come to mind, "gardens" pops up first.  Gardens and Flowers are (traditionally) the embroiderer's most cherished subject-- but my "F" post probably hammered that point home, so I'll give it a rest.

No comments: