Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Materials



When I'm hot on the trail of an idea and working at warp speed, I never have time to think about new materials.  But with long stretches of quiet away from the studio lately, I have been incorrigibly chasing down new fibers on the internet (such as the wool beads from Alchemy Fibre Art in the necklace that Ethan and I made).  I found some interesting mercerized cotton embroidery thread dyed by Stef Francis, and some thin Silk Paper Textured Silk yarn (yet to be colored).  The mercerized cotton is thin, akin to a size 8 perle cotton, but without the shiney-ness.  And, like all the Stef Francis fibers, in colorways to set the juices flowing.

Now I need some thinking time to find ways to use them, maybe go back through the sketchbooks and see what might be done with them.  I believe the mercerized cotton would even work well in quilting!  What a find!  More to come . . .

No comments: