Friday, March 9, 2012

Sketchbook: Bugs!



Confession time:  I am a fan of the Natural World only up to a point.  When we pass by birds, flowers and trees, mosses and ferns, or we have a few days at the beach, stand under starry skies or enjoy spring rains, I cannot soak up enough of these beautiful moments.  Eventually, however, the insect world has to be acknowledged.  And there I slam on the brakes.  Born, raised, and always living in the Deep South, the Natural World has so kindly offered me a broad pallet of insects to invade my worst nightmares.  I remember, as a small child, playing barefoot in the yard beside our house.  I must have been concentrating quite deeply on my game, because I suddenly noticed caterpillars crawling around me.  Marching toward me in what seemed to my child's mind an unending deployment, an army of these black and yellow creepy-crawlies invaded my play space under the trees.  I clambered to the top of a chair and began screaming for my mother to come and rescue me.  It hasn't gotten much better since then, though I don't climb on chairs anymore.  I still scream.

One day, however, I decided to take this unreasonable revulsion and turn it into a smile via my sketchbook.  If you can laugh about something, it isn't so terrifying, I reasoned.  I gave the enemy personality, even human clothing, and had a good time with them.



I think about my friend Carol and how unafraid she is around bugs, how truly interested she is in them, and I try a little harder to loosen up.  But, in truth, I still don't like them.

I've been adding sketches of bugs for several years, now.  Trying to be open-minded.  Sorry, bugs.  Really.

No comments: