Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Uber Texture

Here is my sampler of Extreme Texture in Buttonhole Stitch.

IMG_6623

There is a marvelous collection of non-traditional thread in my studio.  Much from weaving, crochet, and some just because they are wonderful to touch.   I set out to see what could be stitched with reasonable ease, and I found that almost anything can be used for high-textural interest.  The “ease” part is colored by how the world is treating me on the day of stitching.

I gathered an assortment of these non-traditional beauties and sampled them for textural possibilities.  The fibers included nettle yarn, linen, hand-spun silk (really rough and slubbed), reclaimed sari silk ribbon and sari silk yarn, hemp, banana fiber, some Habu chenille and a stiff, thin silk, silk paper thread, raw silk, finely drawn and flattened silk,  cottons fat and skinny . . .  . . . the list is a long and fun one.

I chose to use Buttonhole Stitch because it is an open loop that does not make multiple passes through a single hole in the fabric the way a traditional Chain Stitch does, and it can be enlarged or shrunk down, overlapped or stitched in a single line.  In all these variations, it retains its character.  Most importantly, it accommodates a large range of fibers.

I found a number of the yarns at Darn Good Yarn, a shop that is pure eye candy for unusual yarns.  Others I have picked up as Charles and I travelled, some are from like-minded friends.  In a small moleskin sketchbook I placed samples of the fibers and made notes on the stitching.  Between the sampler and the notebook I have as complete a reference as I could make from the stitching, and there is a small amount of space left at the bottom of the fabric so I can continue to scan the horizon for more candidate threads.

What fun this was!

No comments: