Sunday, March 30, 2014

Conversation by brook

Image

My favorite ground for stitching is made of layers of soft fabric.  To this end I save scraps of every fabric that comes into the studio, no matter the color or fiber content.  Pale pieces can be painted or tinted, frayed or re-woven, and silk or organza act as slight masking agents to push too-forward colors back a notch.  I don’t remember ever meeting a natural-fiber fabric I couldn’t warm up to.

So when I began building the layers of fabric that eventually became this piece, I was looking for texture and shape more than color.  I used fabric paints and dyes to get the colors I needed.  After hand basting the small pieces and machine stitching the edges, the surface stitching was done in silks of floss and perle.

The conversation is an interrupted one, just as the work was not accomplished in a straight line.  Here, Art Imitates Life.

No comments: