Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Some stitching


Garden, with weeds.  A true garden.  Those tidy gardens without weeds belong to helicopter gardeners, the ones who hover and gasp and rip up the offending "weed" as if the garden police were knocking at the gate, ready to write citations and name names.

And, because I grew peas in a pot (a very large one) a couple of summers ago, I love remembering the fresh-cut smell of the pods between my fingers.   I've given them a little whimsy here with Mother of Perle buttons:


Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

Nancy,
Do you remember how you colored the little piece of yellow leather?

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

This is my favorite way to color kid glove leather. I use oil pastels, I apply it in layers to the leather, rubbing it in with a scrap of linen or cotton, using something that doesn't have a lot of lint that will roll around in the thick oil pigment. Lots of elbow grease here, to spread the pigment evenly. After it is completely covered, I go back and touch up places with little strokes of other colors, sometimes using the metallic pastel sticks. Then I set it aside to cure. This takes several days, so when I am coloring the leather I usually do several pieces at a time. I tried using fabric paints, but they leave streaks and once a dark place is on the leather, it doesn't come out very easily. I think the oil pastels work well because the oil actually makes its way into the leather in an organic way and doesn't lie on the top the way acrylics do.

Hope this helps you!

Cynthia Patrick said...

Thank you so much for all the help! I look forward to experimenting with a glove this weekend. ;)