Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Thinking About New Directions

I got a glowing report from the doctor this morning at my 6 week check-up.  Still using a cane, but I have good range of motion and the incision is healing well (thank-you, Vitamin E Oil).  I can actually look at my knee, now, and not have to shut my eyes and pretend that leg belongs to someone else.

So now it's time to think about new projects.  And the one that has moved from the back to front of the queue is to re-make some of the clothes hanging in my closet.  Most particularly, linen shifts and jumpers from the 1990s.  With a little judicious cutting and hemming, it is quite easy to make a tunic from a linen shift.  And a few new pieces might be had from old skirts . . .

Fabric is fabric.  It doesn't know it has been designated as a skirt, top, jacket, or coat.  It just IS.  Time to move these pieces on to their next chapters.  I remember as a child my mother made my youngest sister a beautiful gathered silk skirt.  When she outgrew it, Mother used the fabric to make curtains for the bathroom.  And then she washed the curtains and passed them on to me.  I made a lovely silk blouse from the fabric that I wore for years and years.  Is it possible that I have this deeply-embedded idea of repurposing in my genes?

No comments: