Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Life-Cleaning

It is the Spring coming so early, I believe, that has put me on to nesting— moving furniture in all the rooms of the house, planting new peonies in the garden, moving hydrangeas, cleaning out closets, going through every nook and cranny of the studio to see how space might be better used, getting rid of materials I no longer care to use and wondering why I don't want to work in these mediums anymore . . . turning over every aspect of my life and trying to set myself in order.  Spring Life-Cleaning.

I excuse this enthusiasm for nesting by remembering that I could not do any cleaning last year at this time.  But somehow, even that does not explain this burst of interest in setting things in place.

I looked at a weather map last night and was horrified at what I saw.  The Jet Stream made a roller-coaster up-and-down of the continent.  As much as I hated seeing the Spring come two months early, I hate even more the idea that this roller-coaster line dividing snow in the west from heat in the east could suddenly reverse its shape, and the high pressure might move frigid Arctic air and snow over the fragile and very bloomy Spring!


Frost wrote that "Nothing gold can stay," though I'm beginning to think that "gold" could mean the loveliness of Spring as well as the burnished tones of Autumn.  I wonder if the nesting instinct is an unconscious attempt to make a sheltering place for the Spring, should this High/Low Pressure system flip-flop and we lose the richness of too much spring at one time?


An interesting sidebar to this too-warm weather in North Georgia: the pollen count for Atlanta was at an all-time record of 8,164 yesterday!  My sinuses were telling me that something like this might be happening.  There are two dozen steps between kitchen and studio doors, and in that short trip, I must collect pollen enough to fertilize an entire orchard!

Time to dig out the surgical masks.  I wish someone would manufacture these in skin tones, with nostrils and lips drawn on them so I didn't look like such a dweeb wearing one.




No comments: