Monday, August 29, 2011

Saga of the Dressed-Up Wool



I never know whether I should thank my father for the obsessive-compulsive gene he passed on to me, or if I should volunteer for gene replacement study, but sometimes obsessive determination is a wonderful characteristic to have.

I have been crocheting a lot lately (all right, compulsively).  The problem I have is I want to use beautiful yarn that is not hair-pullingly difficult to work with.  A little lumpy, but not horribly so.  Beads would be nice.  Add to that list of requirements that I should not have allergic reactions to the content.  Here, I am afraid that wool drops off the radar. But wool is so forgiving, so embracing!

*Sigh*  The truth is this:  I am in the process of crocheting the wool out of the studio.  It has to go.  But I would like to give it a nice send-off.  This is how the Saga Of The Dressed-Up Wool began. . .

On a trip to Asheville several weeks ago, I found a skein of yarn that was made of lengths (18 inches) of rather commonplace yarns knotted together.  Unlike some others of this cobbled-together yarn I have seen that was put together with outrageous fibers of multiple (and very incompatible) weights, these commonplace lengths looked as if they could be crocheted easily.  The knots would be decorative.  The weight of the yarn was a worsted one, so there was the consistency I always look for.  I also discovered that the yarn was made by a Mom and her two children, so I plunked over the $25.00 for the skein immediately (cottage industries need to be nurtured).

The skein stayed in my mind as we went on to other things in Asheville, and after a while I realized I was actively working on improving the yarn with all these mental gymnastics!  At Purl's, on Wall Street, Elizabeth so kindly gave me all the "trimmings" from the store's ball-winding station.  They are always so interesting, and there are lengths that can be used for embroidery or felting or . . . As we approached our car, it suddenly hit me that the yarn I wanted could be made by hand but it would not have to be spun, as I have no aspirations to be a spinner at this late stage of my life.  The half-bag of trimmings, some beads--- I suddenly had latched onto a way to create an interesting yarn!

Between Saturday and Sunday, I worked for about twelve hours on this project.  To describe the process, you must grant me a certain willing suspension of disbelief (Coleridge, I think).  After knotting some of the interesting yarns from the bag of trimmings from Purl's onto some hand-spun yarn, I hand-sewed seed beads, buttons, small chips of stone and quartz, other beads and trims, to a staggering 15 yards of wool yarn.  Wool?  you are asking with a puzzled look.  Yes, wool.  Wool because it does have that "forgiving" quality I mentioned, and because it can hide the carrier thread for all these gizmos I was hanging onto the yarn.  I was careful not to flap the yarn around and send up sprays of wool particles to sent my allergies on the alert again, but I did take Monday completely off to let things settle a bit both in the studio and in my imagination.

The result of this slave-labor effort is an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous yarn.  Well, to me it is a drop-dead gorgeous yarn.  It began as the yarn in the first photo up top.  These are some of the results:






If this does not make your mouth water, maybe you are reading the wrong blog.  I digress.  Forgive me.

On Monday, while I was recuperating from the yarn decorating frenzy, I did some serious thinking about what I'd done in the studio over the weekend.  This same technique would work well with the wool cord I'd made earlier, wouldn't it?  And think of the objects I could add to the list for embellishment:
  • sweater-wool felted shapes
  • leather shapes
  • embroidered shapes
  • crocheted (with small, tight yarn) shapes
  • vintage trims and lace snippets
  • old game pieces
  • sequins
  • bracelet charms
  • alphabet beads
  • vintage jewelry pieces

I could make that felted cord meant originally for a simple neckpiece into a marvel of ostentation . . . Yes, another project, which will also be totally unexplainable to my friends, but immensely interesting to me.  So, thank you, Daddy, for the obsessive-compulsive gene.  I would be in the throes of a really dull retirement without it.

1 comment:

Cynthia Patrick said...

Forgive me while I mop the drool up off my keyboard! Your embellishment of this yarn is simply gorgeous. The colors are so very much you! What you started with and with the beads and accents you added...it just got better and better! I can't wait to see what you make out of it! (Although it is stunning just as is...sitting out on a table to admire! :)