Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Weekend and a book

It is so beautiful, the weather, I mean!  This morning we resumed planting bulbs, as the temperatures are "scheduled" to be cool for the next week or so.  Unfortunately, my little crocuses have come up already, but we will pretend they are not three inches tall and hope they will turn yellow with the weather and go back to sleep.  Waking up again in mid-February should give them enough winter weather to do their magic in the snow next year.

I have had another overload of woolen fibers and my eyes began to ache and grow scratchy, so I am off the crochet for a bit.  Instead, I made a small book.  It is (roughly) 5" wide by 5 1'2" high.  More or less.  Arches papers of varying weights, all hot press, and each of the seven signatures has a "cover" made of silk paper where the silk threads seem to float in an almost translucent ground.  I decided to put pockets of varying sizes on these cover pages, and I stitched the sides with flower thread in loose, rather casual stitches, leaving ends dangling (my trademark).  Anything that is slipped into one of the pockets becomes a sort of art work by virtue of the silk paper's slightly blurring it into an impression of itself.

Here you can see the little fabric and curly locks "tags" I sewed onto the edge of the silk paper:


The pocket in the silk paper is very visible here-- folded up from the bottom of the page:


The front of the little book below, with a note explaining the book tucked into the pocket there.  See the irregular hand stitching?  Oddly enough, when you know how to sew a straight line, even when you are sewing on paper, you have to stop and think each time you slip the needle into the paper/fabric to make it irregular!

And, lacking a cover, I have just cut a length of tie-dye ribbon and tied it up to keep things safely together when it is moved.  I already have things stuffed into it for future use!



The cover has yet to come.  The little book has not whispered to me what it wishes to have wrapped around it.  I have leather, but the book was silent.  Fabric?  No answer.  Book boards?  I could almost feel the violence of the rejection.  So, I'll wait.  When the correct form comes along, the book will tell me.  I will ask about the leather again, and perhaps the little book will have thought about it long enough to accept this idea.  I've never made a leather cover and would like the challenge.



No comments: