Monday, October 31, 2011

Tiny Art Quilt: Indian Summer 2011

Small is my size, as I get older.  I used to wonder if it was Adult Onset Attention Deficit, but whatever the cause, I will never finish a large piece anymore.  As I have aged, the pieces grow smaller and smaller!

This little art quilt is my most recent piece, called "Indian Summer 2011."  It is a sort of Journal page, a glimpse into what has been swirling around Studio 508.


It is hand and machine stitched on layers of linen and cotton scraps beneath a piece of vintage cotton voile.  The little "flags" are vintage fabric scraps from that bag of flea-market quilted scraps I keep dipping into (the English Major in me wanted to write "into which I keep dipping" *sigh*):


These little flowerlets and the white curve below are of leather (Ethan sees these as mailboxes).  I am lucky the Viking is a sturdy sewing machine!  Notice the little French Knots spilling on the striped linen-- I had to bite my lip and slap my hands to keep from obsessing on them:


Here are some more fabrics, both hand-painted and salvaged:


Everything is laid onto a scrap of rescued linen, batting beneath.  I don't know how the embroiderer in me became addicted to thick work, but it has just evolved into little quilting exercises.  The thicker, the merrier!

Enjoy!

And thanks for stopping by.

No comments: