Monday, November 21, 2011

Little Stitched Pieces—Are They Quilts?

How can something less than 2" x 3" be called a quilt?


But that is what these are: embroidered pictures worked in the three-piece quilt sandwich.  First, a journal page.

My last Journal Page was "Indian Summer 2011."  In contrast is "Frost Night," the November night when the flowers began to feel the call of the Great Beyond, bringing an end to Indian Summer.  The fabrics have been re-used from all sorts of sources:



This small rectangle is a combination of map and fantasy, a movement from waving cul-de-sacs to circles to grids:



Although I think of it as a guide that could be folded and put in the pocket and pulled out if you happened to be lost, I have no title for it, as yet.  It would stand to reason that if you made something to guide The Lost, The Lost might look for a title to help them . . . ?

Then I turned to the garden, where there is inspiration at all times of the year.  I was thinking of this past week and all the pansies I put into pots when I did these (and no, they are NOT snapshots of pansies, but I don't copy slavishly, do I?):




I am rather fond of the background, which gives the only motion to these still-life portraits.  I used my favorite silk for this, Silk with flame, by Stef Frances.  The variations in texture of the thread are perfect for this sort of background.

All these pieces have come about from a storm in the region of my brain, and I have been filling pages of two studio journals, just having a grand time with the ideas as they spill over.  Eventually this will stop and the ideas will dry up, but in full spate, inspiration in the form of a lot of questions and possible answers is heady stuff.  I like the "what if . . .?" questions.  The answers never end.  And it is criminal to have fabric that is not fulfilling its destiny by being made into something.  Lest I be tagged a felon, I exhibit evidence that I am chopping fabrics right and left in an effort to give the fabric (mostly re-cycled and often hand-painted) new life . . . .  and in the process, following my bliss!

I hope your bliss leads you onward, as well.

No comments: