Sunday, January 22, 2012

Spring Bulbs In Bloom


They would not listen to me.  I tried.  In the unseasonably warm spell (and that is a mild way of describing our winter temperature ups and downs and rains), the spring bulbs began to emerge.  I thought the green might be the end of it and the buds could be spared for March.  Not so.  Despite all my talk and pleading, those silly bulbs not only poked through the earth, but they bloomed last month.  Now, thanks to the return of more seasonable weather, they are brown and withered and pretty much past photographing.  They just wouldn't listen.  This photo records their brief heyday.

And, thousands more are just like this-- spring gone woefully wrong.  I wonder what all those hundreds of bulbs whose leaves came up but didn't bloom will do in early March?  Should I be fertilizing in January?  What sort of gardening year is taking shape?

Aaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

No comments: