Sunday, January 22, 2012

Thinking vs. Doing

I read a quote by Ray Bradbury in which he says, essentially, that we should not over-think an idea, but just DO it.  Since I am one who likes to think things over a bit, I decided to test that suggestion with an Embroidered Little Quilt.

First, I had to create my substrate; i.e., the ground for my piece.  To me, that is always one of the more pleasant aspects of the creative process.  Laying fabrics against one another and looking for that perfect little bit of color and texture, finding the odd shape that sparks the entire focus of the final work . . .

But there I was, thinking again, so I tried to move on with doing.

Next, I started my pattern, my design.  I thought I would follow the irregular shape of the center piece of linen (which was cut from an ancient pair of linen trousers, working carefully around the stains), and I laid down all manner of fabric scraps to form a frame, deciding to limit my colors to green (both light and dark) and an orangey-coral shade of pink, with a touch of blue here and there . . . Beside the linen, I found ultrasuede, silk cotton— these tiny bits of left-overs fell together beautifully.  They seemed to be forming a pattern that might be another map!




Warning!  Warning!  I was moving bits of fabric and thread around and thinking too much about this.  I took it all to the sewing machine and tried to clear my mind.

With the larger fabric elements in place, the hand stitching began.  I pinned my three anchoring pieces in place, then began to wonder how to fill in around them.  To integrate the pieces or let them float?  I put in and took out several stitched lines, then I drew a filling with an air-erase pen and drew another when that design disappeared, stitched some more, took out some more, pressed it carefully from the back side, searched for different threads and began to stitch again . . .

My conclusion is that I am not a Ray Bradbury.  I could not write a plot for Star Trek.  But I can stitch small quilted, embroidered and appliquéd pieces if I am allowed to think about it.  Further, I enjoy the thought process, the rejecting and selecting that goes into making a little quilted piece.  I mean, WHAT would I think about if I was just slashing into the fabric and plowing through it all?  It is the slowing down that allows you to think when you are engaged in hand work.  No more fast lane decisions or thinking on the run, just slow, rhythmic breathing that matches the pace of the stitching.

And this is what happens when I "think about it:   "Another Map!"



Hooray for thinking!

No comments: