Monday, March 7, 2011

Playing (at my age!!!)


No more cleaning, sorting, or organizing in the studio!  I've gone waaaaaay beyond spring cleaning, here, and except for the occasional floor sweeping when the outside mat and inside rug let little bits of leaves cross the Rubicon of the door sill, housework in Studio 508 has come to an end for the foreseeable future.

Today's assignment is to gather a collection of examples of water soluble fabrics to share with the Freestylers on Wednesday.  Turning the pages of books with exciting and inspiring photographs of fiber and fabric is always a good ride, and I end up doodling ideas in sketchbooks for future experimentation.  I really wish I could do the same idea over and over again in twelve colorways, but I am not wired to be a production person.  Once, with many permutations is the best I can do— which is why my one experience at working with a shop was a failure.  I simply could not re-produce something in a client's colors, it always had to be something I was really interested in, and it had to be a different approach each time.

Which is why I have so much work in boxes tucked in different places of the studio.

Today, however, is play day.  Let the games begin!

No comments: