Saturday, November 10, 2012

Embroidered Garden Plans, #1

Once upon a time, when I had a very small house in a very small neighborhood with a very small place to garden, I spent a great deal of time embroidering garden plots, plans of the gardens I would like to plant.  I share some of these with you.

The first is row upon row of brightly blooming annuals that have all but squeezed out that offensive bit of green lawn.  Here is yet another example of my over-fondness for Bullions and Knots elbowing its way to the forefront.  And, by the way, I still think the green sward is a waste of time and energy and garden space.  My ideal front yard is a wildflower field.  Don't think the neighbors would quite "get" it, though.



And this is a schematic for the odd-shaped corner of a place of my imagination.  Well, the finished product was a place of the imagination.  The oddly shaped lot was the one our little cottage home was on many years ago.  As I was snipping the striped fabric for the mail area, I was thinking about how nice it would be to grow stitches, to plant seeds of Herringbone or Detached Chain, to see a blooming sun and perpetual spring trees . . .


They are both from the mid or late 1980s.  Once I was able to garden with some serious intent, the garden plans stopped.  What a shame-- the task of weeding was such a simple one, here!

There are more.  I will excavate another strata in the studio sometime in the next week or two.  I rather enjoy visiting with these old friends once more.




No comments: