Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day 2010

We are being quiet here. Charles has made a Vanilla Pudding (of which he is a little too proud), and I am in the studio (duuuuuh, did I really need to say that?). I've been going through boxes again. Today, I have two large empty boxes to be removed. Some of the contents were in the wrong place and needed to be put with others of a like nature. Some were destined for the landfill. But a nice little collection is going to a friend who is interested in niblets and nibs. She uses them in spinning wonderfully lumpy yarns for her knitting and felting projects. When I go to a knitting yarn store, I always wonder what people see in plain yarn. It is like plain yogurt to me-- in need of sprucing up.

Anyway, whether I have Rules Of The Studio or not, I am two boxes closer to being sorted out.

It may be that sorting is not a one-time thing. When a person moves a studio, they move their perspective and, often, their support group. Re-thinking past projects, how they were carried out, and wondering if those techniques are still interesting is well-spent time. I thought and re-thought the dyeing process until I knew I would not like to do that messy sort of thing again without a dedicated kitchen for the sole purpose of mixing chemicals and creating dye pots. Each time I open a cupboard (and there are a number of cupboards lined up against the walls) I come across another package of materials I collected to experiment with a process. Eventually, I'll be sure enough to either use them again or find a home for them.

And that is a sort of Independence Day isn't it?

1 comment:

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

Charles has asked me to post a correction to my comment that he made a Vanilla pudding. It was, he reminded me very gravely, a BANANA PUDDING, and quite a good one. So sorry, dear.