Saturday, July 10, 2010

Teeney Weeney Wool Cottage

Remember the pink-ish weaving from Wednesday that just didn't have a stand-alone character? By re-purposing all that woven roving and rolling it into a (rough) cone shape, it has become the central construction for this small house:



You can see the heads of pins where I've temporarily placed some of the elements. The "walls" of the little house are wool felt strips that have been dyed and run under the embellisher, front and back, with lots of little chips of scrim pounded through from back to front. There are also some little "bricks" added to the surface, more of the embellishing machine at work:



The texture is so inviting-- I want to keep playing with it rather than putting it down and studying it to see how the parts are working together.



And here you can see some of the roof tiles that have been pinned in place:



I'm still thinking through how I'll assemble the roof parts. I've already made one roof (unfinished) that was a howling failure. I hesitate to start sewing things down until I've played with several arrangements of shapes-- I can't tell you how many things I've ruined by not stepping back and looking and thinking. Below are pictures of the window after I'd sewn it in place (including the green window box) and began to add french knot flowers:



This piece has a lot of work to be done before it's finished, but I think it will be a delightful journey. I especially like to work on things that are bright, happy colors with a lot of whimsey spilling out. Sometimes we need a touch of whimsey in our lives.

5 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

Hooray for whimsy! Your cottage looks delightful with it's buttery, yellow walls and cute, choppy "haircut". You've been so busy!!! Momma will be jealous! :)

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

I hadn't anticipated how long it would take to put all of this together. Under the yellow wool is a lining of another wool, to facilitate sewing on the top "skin" and the details of the cottage. The woven piece was not smooth enough to allow neat, even stitches directly on top of all that puffy roving. And all of this in tiny stitches (my fingers are sighing)! I will work some more on it in the next few days and hopefully have it finished by mid-week.

RagJó said...

That´s a beautiful cute little house :)

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

I have much more to go with it, but will post another in-progress photo of it today or tomorrow. I have always wanted to live in a little cottage, so this one must be my "dream home!"

Mary Kate Jordan said...

Sweet house!

I love its tucked-in-a-dell-ness and its whimsy! Will Lord Peter Whimsey be moving in soon, or aren't early-mid-20th century Brit murder mysteries bright enough for its sunny yellow-ness? Is there a small faerie town or Wind in the Willows-type community coming on, or would that just be some huge project that would -- slog slog -- just become work???

Technical hmmmmmmm ... Maybe stitch the roof tiles in (roughly) pie-shaped wedges, then slip them together? Or ... dare I whisper it ... glue?