Saturday, January 15, 2011

And Another Party House


Making the blue Tea Party House was too much fun, and before I even finished it, I had a second of these lively little houses in the works.  Imagine having these two bright houses in your neighborhood!  Or, maybe you do have two such places in your neighborhood, and one is next door and you spend a lot of time there, sipping tea and reaching for the hot scones and marmalade?



The contrasting colors, blue and orange, set up a tension of complements.  I used the warm colors to keep the heat turned up, with a little bright blue stitched in for contrast.  The roof is blue cotton velveteen, and the house proper is a piece of hand-dyed wool fabric.  The white door is kid leather, a scrap from an old, brittle glove.  The red roundels are held in place by a stack of three seed beads.


The edging is a combination of scraps of scrim, yarn, perle cotton, novelty yarn— whatever I could find that looked loose and interesting.  I have the notion that the folks who live in this little house are less concerned about things being nicely organized than whether or not the kettle is on to boil.

2 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

The colors are amazing in this one! :)

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

I'm trying to learn to be friends with orange, especially when I splash other hot colors around it. It can set my teeth on edge, otherwise!