Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beautiful Savannah

In the dead of winter, having left home in the rain yesterday, we have come to Savannah and all the glory of January on the coast.  Savannah is such a graceful lady!  Besides being so architecturally interesting, there is a great deal of interesting shopping here.  Little, unique places.  My friend from childhood lives near here in Bluffton, and she scoped out three great places for me.

Fabrika is a small fabric and etcs. shop with big impact.  It is on Abercorn, in an interesting area one block from one of the famous squares, and just around the corner from a delightful cafe Charles and I used to frequent.  I was in danger of going off the deep end with the fabrics (are you gasping with surprise or rolling your eyes?), decided on two children's prints and some linen, bamboo, and cotton for experimentation in the next few weeks.  http://www.fabrikafinefabrics.com/

The French Knot, on Whitaker, is a shop for embroiderers.  OMG, but it is organized so well!  Found some thread I didn't know about, so I had to have a bit to play with.  Tentakulum, a German thread company, makes a line called "Painter's Threads."  I have used a number of threads from Tetakulum, so when I saw the "Painter's Shimmer Ribbon," I couldn't walk away from them!  And stranded silk in lovely families of colors.  I was thinking about how nice it would be to combine the thread(s) with some of my Fabrika treasures.  http://www.french-knot.com/



Wild Fibre.  This was the hard one to find.  It is upstairs, across from the DeSoto Hilton on Liberty Street.  But it was quite worth the trip up the stairs (I still have great difficulty with stairs, unfortunately).  The shop is small, but the selection was obviously hand-picked for knitters, crocheters, felters, spinners, and weavers.  It was such a pleasure to see the different types of roving, the hand-spun yarns, and even cone threads.  http://www.wildfibreyarns.com/

When we go back to Savannah in March, I'll have to re-visit these places.  No, I said that wrong.  I meant to say, I'll HAVE to re-visit these places.

No comments: