Monday, January 10, 2011

Studio Time


Finally, some studio time!  Times get busy, but when the Busy Times go on too long and I can't get to the right brain playground, I have all the symptoms of withdrawal.  This roughly 4" square has become my "new" working size, one that fits neatly in my hand.  Working in small scale has the advantage over large projects (to me) in that the small pieces draw you into the work.  Have you ever noticed people at a gallery leaning in to examine the details of a small piece?  They are seeing the story unfold in the tiny stitched (drawn/painted/etched) lines and bits of color.  With large works the viewer instinctively takes a step backward to gain space to see the larger view.  Even as I work, the small, intimate piece pulls me inside and I have an ongoing conversation with the coming-into-being piece as I work.  For me, this back-and-forth is more difficult with a larger work.

And I have a great fondness for rows of straight stitches and couched lines . . .



Periodically I "rediscover" beads, and these past couple of weeks have been a beading frenzy!  On November 15th I posted some "Zentangle" embroideries.  These I did while resting in the house, away from the studio, trying to keep my hands busy shortly after surgery.  When I was more able to move between house and studio, the beads took hold, and I went back into the pieces and re-worked them, even added another little piece to the collection.  They make nice inspirations for other work, a sort of catalog of texture and line possibilities that I keep on the work table near the beads.




Can you see the beads tucked into the little places here, on top of the stitched lines and on the buttons?

The fun here was working around the piece of hemp scrim to the right of center. This piece feels very good in the hand, as it is built on layers of heavy felted wool.


Details:


This is a study in layering, ways of keeping the natural edge without having too much raveling.  The stitches are truly quilting stitches here.


With the beads added, the already highly-textured surface just got better!


One more:  This one has layers of cottons over the wool, and after the beading was done, it is too sturdy for words.  So much nicer than a limp piece of cotton or linen!




Now, if I can find a way to plow through the snow to the studio (yes, that is an exaggeration; 6" is not a call for a snow plow) I have some little houses to photograph.  If I could persuade Charles to don snow shoes, and use my hair dryer and a large shaker of salt . . .

2 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

Oh what yummy stitches! I want to try out some of this "zentangle" style embroidery...filling every bit of space with colorful bits of fabrics and "doodling" stitches...yours are absolutely wonderful! I'm adding it to my "to do" list right now!

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

Doodling with needle and thread and doodling with pen/ink on gorgeous paper puts me "in the zone." Such a nice way to de-stress!