Sunday, September 19, 2010

Making It Work

I bought Tim Gunn's new book, the 18 golden rules book.  This inspired me to go into the studio and pick up a piece that I had enjoyed creating, but somehow got bogged down in the process and never could seem to finish.  I read his section on "Make It Work" very closely, and I was ready to go.  For a few moments, it seemed possible that I might just rescue this old idea.  But, two hours later, and amid a pile of clipped threads and a slit in the fabric from too energetically removing an appliqued piece, I have to concede that there are some things that, when the towel has been tossed in, might better be left in the "Evermore Unfinished" box.

Jan and Jean stress this same concept in their classes at Callaway.  Although the piece might not finish as the image you began with, don't throw all  those work hours away, but think of some way to keep going with it.  Improvise.  Take the risk.  And I've done that several times quite successfully.  There are some things, however, that, when they're down, picking them up months and months later with the idea of continuing the work might not be the best use of our time.  Rather than struggle on with this idea, I think I'll simply wad it up and wrap a ball around it.

Now, THAT'S Making It Work!!!

No comments: