Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Little Pink House


One of the nicest things about make-believe is that anything goes, anything at all.  I have a soft spot for painted houses, and that shows in this little pink house.  It is built on layers of felted wool, the top layer being the result of heavy needle-felting (the embellishing machine) and embroidery.  I used scrim in little tiny bits and roving and some scraps of colored wool to get the basic texture, then turned the fabric over and stitched the tiniest french knots (a single strand of floss, one wrap around the beading needle) to give a suggestion of orange to the mix of colors.  The door is a piece of vintage fabric, outlined with pink floss.  The windows are scattered across the front of the house.  I think this is to accommodate furniture placement (how many times have you wanted to move a window just five inches to the right or left?).  And if the furniture inside the house is moved around, the windows can be moved, too, by swishing across them with two fingers, the way we do those magic telephones.  Simplicity itself!

Now, the best part is imagining who lives here.  A room under the eaves would be my favorite spot, a quiet place away from the noise and jumble of family life below.  Maybe a little girl has her room here?  Bookcases everywhere, the shelves groaning with books . . . . 

This house would be located in a neighborhood of quite colorful homes.  I'll consult my muse to see who lives next door, and post that picture another time.

2 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

Oh Nancy, I share your love of houses & your work is just beautiful here!

I really, really cherish the one you made for me. I've got a frame for it (white of course), and I just have to decide whether it will live in my studio or the upstairs living room for everyone who comes over to admire! :)

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

Maybe it is a mobile home, ready for adventures in another room at the drop of a hat (or would that be the hitching of a trailer . . .?). Making the houses is so much fun. I really get into the part about creating the psyche of the folks within!

Glad you still like your little house. It was such a pleasure to make it! I think about it when I wear my spring-colored necklace!