Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Neighborhood: Little Houses

I love any home and heart theme, and keep returning to this highly personal theme in any art form.  Lately the home theme has nagged insistently at me, and I started a little neighborhood of these small houses.  They are about 6" tall, built on layers of felted wool fabric or sweaters, and pieced with all sorts of fabrics and stitched with as many beautiful threads as needed to finish them up.  As they are stitched more and more, they become sturdier, and will eventually be appliquéd to another piece of linen to make a framable piece of the collection.

This group of three is in a more sober colorway than I normally use-- it is the influence of the autumn, I believe.




Tiny stitches.  Sometimes VERY tiny stitches, but so worth it when the lines are finished.  Rubbing my finger across them gives a heavenly bumpy feel to the surface.  Some of the fabrics are very old, pieces from old quilts that chopped up and sold at a flea market (could not resist all those beautiful old fabrics squashed together in the two plastic bags!).

"Home Sweet Home" has taken on a new meaning now!

2 comments:

Cynthia Patrick said...

What beautiful pieces!!! I can't wait to see how you put all three together! Will the words "Home Sweet Home" be incorporated into the 3 little houses somehow?

Studio 508-Nancy's Place said...

They certainly live together on a cul-de-sac of their own, don't they? They aren't finished, yet. They are stand-alones at present, and will be grouped together later, after my spell of house-building is over. Then I have to landscape a place for them all!